THE ONLINE BACKUP SOLUTION
Use a secure offsite online data backup service
to protect your most essential files
copyright 2006 by Tracy Marks
WHAT IS ONLINE DATA BACKUP?
An online data backup service is a web-based backup for automatically
compressing, encrypting and backing up your most essential files on an
immediate or daily basis.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ONLINE OFFSITE BACKUP?
With an offsite backup service, you have your files stored in a
different location, and easily accessible - a lifesaver if not only
your computer but also your home or business archived files are
destroyed due to an unexpected catastrophe.
The online backup solution offered by many offsite backup services
provides much more security than most home and business computers. A
primary advantage is that you can schedule your backup to occur
automatically rather than feel burdened by its continual reappearance
as a frequently neglected item on your to-do list.
The remote backup software provided is usually easy to use and allows for fast data recovery.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF ONLINE BACKUP?
Data backup can be slow, especially if you have dialup connection. Even
with broadband, some online backup companies use so much bandwidth that
you may not be able to surf the Web while backing up.
Online backups are not viable for backing up programs, and are too slow for frequent backups of your entire hard drive.
HOW DOES ONLINE DATA BACKUP WORK?
The online backup company you choose will provide
remote backup software and instruct you in regard to its use. You will
first back up all your essential files, and then choose which data to
backup on a continuous basis. At any time, you can view and restore
files, You can select the times for backup to occur, and arrange for it
to happen automatically.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING
A COMPANY FOR ONLINE BACKUPS?
1. Do they have 128 bit (military level) encryption for your data?
2. How secure is the storage location?
3. Is their software easy to use?
4. Can you schedule automatic incremental backups?
5. How fast is the backup process? Can you use your computer and browse the Web when backing up?
6. How much backup storage do you need, and what do they charge for the capacity you need?
7. What is the cost of increasing your storage?
8. Do they notify you when you exceed your storage capacity, and how much do they charge when you do?
9. Will backups automatically resume if you lose your internet connection?
1. Do they have a free trial so you can check out the remote backup
software before paying for it (and do you have to notify them not to
automatically charge your credit card when it ends?)
2. Do they have both a monthly and discounted yearly pricing plan?
3. Do they include virus checking?
4. Do they only allow one initial full backup?
5. Do they allow file sharing with persons who do not have an account with their company?
Continued on next page
Index Search Reviews
Search Links Search Guide
Search Help Email us
Top of Page Windweaver
Services Windows Manual Windows
copyright 2006 by Tracy Marks
Windweaver Arlington, Massachusetts (781) 641-3371
http://www.windweaver.com/index.htm Tracy Marks
Please visit our sister site, Webwinds.
Since February 17, 1997, you are visitor
Last update November 22, 2006